A little dream

During+her+free+time%2C+Amber+Gonzalez%2C+12%2C+paints+vivid%2C+realistic+pictures+at+places+like+the+park.+%E2%80%9CIt+calms+me+down%2C%E2%80%9D+Gonzalez+said%2C+%E2%80%9CIt%E2%80%99s+a+way+for+me+to+relax+and+express+my+feelings.%E2%80%9D+
Back to Article
Back to Article

A little dream

During her free time, Amber Gonzalez, 12, paints vivid, realistic pictures at places like the park. “It calms me down,” Gonzalez said, “It’s a way for me to relax and express my feelings.”

Ashley Lozano

Ashley Lozano

Ashley Lozano

Kaylee Camacho, Writer

Since the very young age of 5, senior, Amber Gonzalez has always loved art and known it was her passion, when she painted her first painting at the age of 5 and although she has no particular style, she paints primarily abstract artwork using watercolor. Gonzalez usually doesn’t start painting with a specific goal or meaning in mind; she paints what comes to mind as she portrays her feeling and emotions into her artwork. She loves to paint because it calms her; it’s her form of therapy.

Gonzalez’s favorite and most current piece is titled ‘A Little Dream,’ which features a young girl dressed in a nightgown, riding on top of a sea turtle, swimming and floating endlessly through the night sky. The hours the artist spent are reflected in her work. The painting includes intricate detail, from the stars in the sky to the scales on the sea turtle, and portrays the wild imagination that children have.

“If I could sum up the meaning of this painting it would be the innocence of childhood,” Gonzalez said.

She admits that if she could have a career in painting she would, but it’s primarily a hobby. When asked about her inspiration, Gonzalez quickly stated painter Lora Zombie as her favorite. Zombie’s work is sometimes controversial and carried a strong message behind it, which Gonzalez finds compelling.

“Much of her feelings are put into her work” Gonzalez said, “It’s very inspiring.”

Gonzalez finds this particular artist inspiring because she speaks her mind. Zombie has some very controversial pieces including those questioning the nobility of big corporations such as, McDonalds and Disney. Gonzalez enjoys seeing this kind of artwork it inspires her to think outside the box with her artwork.

The painter has the potential to inspire other with her artwork as well. She even has local fans with people in her classes offering to buy her dreamy, captivating pieces. During her class, she presented her artwork to classmates and received nothing but positive response.  Gonzalez’s classmate and friend, Karina Ramirez, 12, was surprised when she saw her artwork for the first time. When her friend saw her artwork she felt like a child in dreams.

“It’s so peaceful, it makes me want to sleep,” Ramirez said.

Another friend that enjoyed Gonzalez’s artwork is Briana Thomas, senior.

“I think her artwork is very unique and pretty,” Thomas said, “I like the color tones she uses and overall she’s just amazing at what she does.”

Ramirez enjoys Gonzalez’s peaceful and dreamy artwork. Gonzalez has the support of her peers and the potential inspire more people with her artwork like the artists that inspire her. In the future Amber wants to keep painting and with offers made by friends, she can have a potential career in painting.

About the Contributors
Kaylee Camacho, Public Relations Manager
Senior Kaylee Camacho, who is Public Relations manager and a writer, is the newest edition to the Business team of The Downey Legend. Camacho is a fun and spontaneous girl and the staff is grateful to have her as a member. She hopes to contribute as much as possible, so the year is great one. As a senior she is involved in many clubs including: Normineers, JSA, Key Club, and Entourage. Her goal this school year is to get accepted to a commendable university, preferably San Diego State or Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. She is enjoying her last year of high school by going to Disneyland every weekend and spending time with her friends and family. “In ten years I see myself as a successful business person and I just want to make the most of my 20s,” Camacho said.

As a member of the Business team, she is very active in advertising and celebrating the staff members’ birthdays. She has solid fundraising ideas, and knows many students on campus, which is great for getting the word out there. Camacho’s first experience as a writer was the freshman tailgate story, and she enjoyed writing it.“ In the future I think I will cover another story,” Camacho said. “I like interviewing people, and I work best under pressure.”
Ashley Lozano, Business Manager
Ashley Lozano, 17-year-old senior at Downey High, is this year’s Business Manager and staff photographer for The Downey Legend. Lozano’s hobbies include taking pictures, going to Disneyland, and hanging out with friends. She wants to become a better photographer and be more involved with the school, which is why she joined the newspaper. “I think the newspaper is a great way to meet and talk to new people and get more involved in school activities,” Lozano said. Her goals include making The Downey Legend more popular among students and to get more viewers. She’s part of the business team because she wants to get the word out about the site while becoming the best Business Manager The Downey Legend has had. She also hopes to make this a memorable year.

Lozano wants to leave the classroom a better photographer, and wants to travel all over Europe someday. She always liked taking pictures and started show an interest for it because her best friend’s brother is a photographer. Her parents bought her a Canon Rebel T3 camera, giving her an even bigger interest in photography; she also grew closer to enjoying it more since she has always wanted a camera. Lozano is on the right path to achieving her goals by joining the newspaper, working hard to become a better photographer and Business Manager, and making this a successful year for The Downey Legend.