Keeping the 50′s alive

Although countless fads have come and gone throughout the years, several students remain dedicated to embodying the styles of the rebellious American youth of the 1950s and early 60s. Each passing decade has been unique in its own way in terms of fashion, marking its place in history of style.

Juniors Rodolfo Farias and Diego Rodriguez have made rockabilly more of a lifestyle rather than just a preferred choice of clothing and music. Both were inspired by their fathers who gave them pointers for everything from how to perfect a pompadour to cuffing their jeans.

“My dad is still a big time greaser after all these years,” Rodriguez said. “I know I won’t ever get tired of it. I’ll stay greasy until I go bald.”

They were also influenced at a young age when they saw their first psychobilly band playing live at Knott’s Scary Farm. Farias and Rodriguez were instantly intrigued by the band members’ extraordinary way of dressing combined with their outrageous hairstyles.

Psychobilly is a fusion genre of rock music that mixes elements of punk rock, rockabilly, and other genres. Rockabilly is one of the earliest styles of rock and roll music and a more developed style of hillbilly-country music.

“The music was really upbeat and aggressive. We thought their style was so boss but we knew we couldn’t commit to going that hardcore just starting out,” Farias said. “Coming into high school three years ago, we decided to go with the classier rockabilly style. We’ve kept up with it ever since.”

There’s no doubt that these students will receive more attention at school or on the streets of Downey because of how uncommon the styles are today.

“I like the whole style, especially if it’s authentic and they stay true to the real rockabilly trends,” junior Jacob Alday said.

Their passion doesn’t end with their clothing or hair, the school’s greasers have gone as far as reviving slang terms from the early 60s. From head to toe, with their way of speaking and interests, it’s clear that this style is not a phase for these students but a faithful way of living.

View Comments (1)

• M

Michael DuranJun 10, 2010 at 9:39 PM

Rockabilly people are fun to hang out with.

Reply
Activate Search
Keeping the 50′s alive