The New way

On Mar. 19, Debra New and the rest of the booster parents plan out the band’s next fundraiser in a meeting held in the band room. They are planning to raise money during the annual fair, held at Downey High School, to help pay for the additional instructors, food for the students, and for the band fees.

Gabriela Guzman

Mehak Khan, Staff Writer

Parent Debra New first joined Downey High’s Drumline Booster Board in 2013 and is currently vice president along with a nomination for next year’s presidential position.

New enjoys the pride and excitement at competitions. Seeing how relaxed the band students are and all the fun that they have when they have completed a competition brings her delight.

Debra New, mother of current band student, Nicholas New, explains why she enjoys helping out and spending time with the drumline students.

“I enjoy spending time with the other parents and kids,” New said, “and I feel pride for all that they accomplish, because for a short time all the students are like my kids.”

New tries her best to attend every football game and competition. It isn’t too difficult for her since she has a boss that allows her to have flexible hours when she needs them.

Nicholas New, son of Debra New and former drumline student, describes all the things his mom does for drumline.

“She is the band mom; she’s there for you when you need anything,” New said, “even if you annoy her, she’s still there for you.”

New attends all meetings where planning with parents and other board members takes place. Because her job requires constant updates and paperwork, she also tries to attend practices where she can get work done and see the band practicing.

Mr. Guerrero, band director, explains why he likes to work with Debra New.

“It’s really nice to work with her because she takes on a lot of responsibilities,” Guerrero said. “She helps out with fundraisers, takes on carpool, and provides meals for the students during events.”

Debra New expresses to parents that by volunteering with any activity your child chooses, they will be able see the person that he/she will grow into. To New, it is the joy and memories that make the work worthwhile.