Staying Motivated

Nathalie Sibal, Co-Copy Editor

As the school year progresses, students find themselves lacking the motivation needed to excel. Grades begin to drop as a result of becoming worn down from all the workload. Stress and lack of sleep are the top two contributors that cause this loss of motivation. However, there are techniques that can change a student’s perspective and help them get back on track.

ASB member, Sebastian Cornejo, 11, discusses the method he uses to encourage himself to finish homework.

“I just push myself because I know it will benefit me later,” Cornejo said. “I have a sense of accomplishment when I do finish that assignment.”

Keeping a positive view is a different technique used to reduce the feeling of powerlessness. Whether you are looking forward to a fun activity in class or talking to your best friend during snack, finding happiness in smaller moments can enhance your mood. Adopting an optimistic mindset can help build up the strength needed to get through the school year.

President’s Middle Scholars student, Yujany Sarabia, 11, explains the positive outlook she maintains throughout the year.

“I look forward to fun things like being able to see friends at school or going to that one class I happen to like,” Sarabia said. “The idea that all my hard work pays off when it comes to my grades and GPA also helps.”

However, students find it challenging to stay positive, especially in school. They become discouraged due to the ‘tedious’ work or the ‘demanding’ classes. Portraying school in a negative light does not help achieve any goals. Changing your views can slowly help regain your motivation.

Band member, Carol Kaddis, 11, believes that a student’s perspective can have a great impact on performance.

“If people start thinking school is fun, they’ll actually want to go,” Kaddis said. “In the end, your future can depend on how hard you work right now.”

Finding motivation in the unknown is an uncommon, yet effective way of restoring determination. Although it may not seem like it, you face new challenges everyday. Thinking about the different surprises that life throws at you can boost your energy and get you ready for a brand new day.

Anime Club president, One Night Only club member, and Link Crew Leader, Sussy J. Sanchez, 12, shares her way of finding excitement in everyday life.

“One thing I find motivation for is knowing that there’s another day that goes by,” Sanchez said.  “When I wake it’s like sometimes I don’t wanna go to school, but then I realize that you go to school and there’s a next day. You never know what happens the next day. You don’t know what happens that day, so my motivation is the mystery that happens for every single day.”

Using these techniques can help with struggles that a majority tend to face in school. In the end, it all comes down to you and your mentality. Although it is difficult, motivation can be found within you. Keep pushing yourself, and before you know it, you will be at the finish line. You got this Vikings!