From Cubs to Bears

Alessandro Esquivel, Co-Copy Editor

On Saturday, Oct. 22, during game 6 of the League Championship Series, the Chicago Cubs beat the Los Angeles Dodgers 5-0, and made their historic entrance into the 2016 World Series. Cubs fans all over cheered when that moment struck.

The last time the Chicago Cubs won the World Series was 1908 when the Ottoman Empire was still in existence and Europe had monarchs, but for the first time since 1945 the Cubs advanced to World Series 2016.

Michael Santos has been a Cubs fan for a year, ever since his cousin introduced him to baseball, and he roots for the Cubs because his family has had a long relationship with the team.

“We [his family] just got happy; we just got up,” Michael Santos, 12, said. “We’re getting somewhere finally after like such a long time.”

The allure of the Chicago Cubs belongs to its status as one of the original professional teams of baseball and the beautiful Wrigley Field, home stadium of the Cubs.

Mr. Sanders, a Los Angeles Dodgers fan, was disappointed with how the Oct. 22 game turned out for the Dodgers.

“I kept waiting for the Cubs to blow it because they always have,” Mr. Sanders said. “They have a huge following; they’re just one of those teams that for whatever reason people connect with, not just people from Chicago.”

As to the momentous occurrence, Mr. Sanders pointed out this World Series to be a special one specifically because the two teams, the Chicago Cubs and Cleveland Indians, are now starting to rise after historic lows.

The Indians won their last World Series in 1948.

Andres Hurtado, 12, a baseball player for Downey High School, credits the pitchers, hitters, and defenders as the backbone of the Cubs’ success this year.

“The Cubs are just way too good,” Hurtado said. “It’s just amazing, especially since they have a curse going on.”

A man once brought his allegedly fetid pet goat to a 1945 Cubs game at Wrigley Field. After visitors complained of the smell, the goat-owner was kicked out and in retaliation spoke the alleged words: “Them Cubs, they ain’t gonna win no more,” thus prompting the legend of the Billy Goat Curse.

The enchantment needed to break the curse was for the Cubs to hold the Commissioner’s Trophy after more than a century long hiatus.

As of Nov. 2, the Chicago Cubs now hold the World Series title, defeating the Indians 4-3. Their historic win will go down in the history books and in the ledgers of Cubs fans till the end of times.