Girls Volleyball clinches CIF title

Elizabeth Contreras

Making history, Viking Volleyball players show off their awards on Nov. 20 in Cypress College’s gym after beating Troy High School at division IIAA CIF Finals. This was the first time in Vikings history that girls volleyball achieve the title of CIF champs.

Camerynn Chase, Staff Writer

The Lady Vikings made girl’s volleyball history on Nov. 20th at Cypress College by crushing the lady Gladiators of Troy High School during the CIF Finals.

The Vikes won 3 to 0 against Troy with scores of 28-26, 25-22, and 25-23. Before the game, Coach Sims could barely contain her enthusiasm about her girls’ success,

“I’m excited! I’m excited! I’m excited!” Sims said.

In the past, the closest the volleyball girls came to winning the Championship was game three. This year, though, the Varsity girls flew through the first three games, the semifinals, and the quarterfinals.

After the game winning point was made by Captain Camille Valenzuela and Breanna Alcantara, the Downey Volleyball girls were crowned CIF Champions for the first time in Downey High history, and the tears ran freely.

“Three months ago, myself and five other varsity volleyball girls wrote a poem that ended with a goal. The goal was to become CIF Champions on Nov. 20th,” Breanna Alcantara said. “We worked so hard the whole season to get to this moment and I’m just happy that we met our goal. CIF Champs for the first time in history!”

The girls went on to State Finals with their first game in Fresno on Nov. 23rd.