Quarantine Book Recommendations

Itzel Cabrales, Writer

Reading is a hobby for plenty of people and it is a great way to pass time, however, finding books that spark interest in readers can be difficult. Here are some books that are definitely worth the read:

A Lesson Before Dying is a historical fiction book that is a part of Oprah’s Book Club written by Ernest J. Gaines. It takes place in 1940s Louisiana when segregation was still occurring in the United States. Grant Wiggins is a local teacher who teaches in a one-room schoolhouse for black children. He is not content with his life and small-town boredom. One day Miss Emma, his aunt’s friend, asks a favor of him. She is the godmother of a young man named Jefferson, who was wrongly convicted of murder and was being sentenced to death. Miss Emma wanted Grant to talk to him and make Jefferson’s last days meaningful. The book details the life of blacks in  America and the injustices they experienced through the period of segregation and how it reflects today. It goes above and beyond to emphasize the struggles their community underwent and still undergoes.

Another great recommendation is The Invisible Life Of Addie LaRue by V.E Schwab. It is a historical romance novel taking place in France in 1714 and New York in 2014. Addie lives in a small village and is seeking more than just her simple rural life. One day she prays to the gods after dark, a forbidden practice, asking for freedom and independence. The gods used her desperation against her and cursed her to be forgotten by everyone she meets and made her immortal. In New York City of 2014, centuries later, she meets a man who was able to remember her after she met him at a bookstore. The novel greatly describes the character’s emotions and is an absolute tear-jerker. It has deep significance and symbolism that changes perspectives about life and romance.

The Sun is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon is a teen romance drama novel that is set in modern-day New York City. Natasha Kingsley is a high school student who immigrated to the United States from Jamaica when she was eight years old. Her family is being deported in less than a day and in her last twelve hours in New York, she tries to overturn the deportation. As she runs errands she crosses paths with Daniel Bae, a young Korean boy who is going to Yale to become a doctor to please his parents. Natasha doesn’t believe in true love, however, Daniel falls in love with her and wants to make her feel the same way. The novel is filled with humor and heart-wrenching moments that will tug at your heartstrings. It will have you hooked and unable to put the book down. The movie adaptation is available on Hulu to watch after reading.

John Green has produced many exceptional books, and Turtles All the Way Down is the perfect example of his well-written literature. Aza Holmes is a sixteen-year-old girl who suffers from severe anxiety. She and her best friend Daisy try to solve the mysterious disappearance of their local billionaire, Russell Pickett because he lives a close proximity to Aza’s house. Along the way, she didn’t expect to catch feelings for Russell Pickett’s son, Davis. Together they conquest to find Davis’ father and Aza runs through teenage and mental hardships to overcome. Turtles All the Way Down breaks down and focuses on the mind of teenagers with anxiety. In this case how Aza views her world. It depicts the struggles of mental health issues through relatable characters and how anxiety takes a toll on people.

These books definitely deserve to be appreciated and make sure to put them on reading bucket lists. They most certainly can become new favorites and cherished works for readers of all kinds.