Our Admirable Society?

Akhila Nallamilli, Staff Writer

After learning about satires, the three Honors English 10 classes used this technique to ridicule the difficulties in today’s society. Sarcasm is not only a snarky response one can make in order to taunt something. It can be used to expose society’s problems through mockery.

One of the students, Malek Dweik, 10, mocked the strenuous need of making it into prestige colleges. He emphasized that although a student may have the necessary requirements and more to get into a certain college, they do not make it. “You have only volunteered for 5,000 hours and although you have maintained at least a 4.5 GPA all throughout high school, you received a B+ in Inconsequential and Insignificant Studies in the 5th grade,” Dweik said.

Another student, Adriana Baltazar, 10, disdained every procrastinator out there by effectively describing all the incidents one would procrastinate on. She mentioned technology’s influence on people and how using it just wastes precious time that could be utilized to do something productive. “All that time you could be spending on making your project perfect would be so much more usefully spent in watching five seasons of your favorite television show or beating Super Mario Brothers for the hundredth time,” Baltazar said.

Finally, Angelica Fregoso, 10, wrote about the materialistic first world societies. She implied that the items first world residents see as crucial to their lives have no importance anywhere else. “I’ve been waiting over 5 minutes for my Starbucks,” Fregoso said.

The satires these students wrote humorously, but significantly, show the problems in society. Satires help students realize the problems of society, since it is an attractive piece of work filled with sarcasm. They are much more effective than an article describing the world’s complications. So next time you find yourself admiring your community, think again.