Five Question with AP coordinator Tina Carlson

Rodas Hailu, Co-Editor-in-Chief

After two weeks of extensive testing, English teacher Tina Carlson reflects on her twelve years of proctoring Advanced Placement exams.

Q: How were you chosen to be in charge of the testing?

A: When Ms. Lucke, the former AP Coordinator, was promoted to vice principal, Mr. Layne, the DHS principal at the time, asked me to step up as AP coordinator.

Q: How do you prepare for two weeks of nonstop testing?

A: It takes lots of planning and organizing to prepare for AP testing.  I start in March so that everything is ready the first day of the AP season.  I have many, many lists to check off, and I use lots of sticky notes. After so many years, I have a pretty good system in place, but I only arrived at it through much trial and error.

Q: What is the most stressful part of your position?

A: The most stressful part is making sure everything is ready each morning/afternoon of testing so that when students walk into the room, they do not have anything to stress about.

Q: How do you handle the stress?

A: Lots of humor and keeping things in perspective; they are what they are.  Nothing cannot be fixed, somehow.

Q: What do you do when students are taking AP tests, for example, and you proctor that test?

A: I spend time working on College Board paperwork, prepping for the next test and grading papers.  And every now and then I get in a game (or two) of Words with Friends.  It’s so much nicer now that there are smart phones.  When I first started as AP coordinator, the gym was a pretty isolated place to be.