On Wednesday, Dec. 18, in the DHS theatre, Abigail Williams, played by Cassandra Barrera, 12, stands on trial when she is accused of being a witch. Barrera has been a part of improv, choir and even dance; the stage is her battlefield.

The Crucible

January 7, 2014

Mr. Hansen’s Drama Production class has rehearsed every day during and after 6th period, since the first week of October for their performance of The Crucible. The play premiered in the B building theater on Friday, Dec. 13 and will continue onto Friday, Dec. 20.

“Opening night was amazing. We had a full house and we were so pleased with the crowd,” senior Brenda Lopez, who played Sussana Walcott, said. “The crowd made everyone feel great about their performance.”

Marco Arroyo, who plays John Proctor, the lead role in the play, pleaded last year with Mr. Hansen to allow them to perform The Crucible, and was thrilled when he finally agreed to let them re-enact such a well known and loved play.

“I wasn’t really nervous; I was more anxious than anything,” Marco Arroyo said. “There was a lot of pressure because there’s a bunch of seniors who’ve read it and a bunch of juniors that have just finished it, so it’s scary because they’re all so critical about each character and have their own ideas on what they do and how they act, so I didn’t want to disappoint anyone. That was the most nerve wracking thing.”

Although opening day landed on Friday the 13th, the young actors were so excited that superstitions did not cross their minds.

Ironically, the bad luck began during their second performance when the fire alarm went off during the 3rd act. It continued to go off for 8 minutes and the actors were upset, but were relieved when Vice Principal, Mr. Zegarra turned the alarm off allowing them to proceed.

The drama class also experienced a few minor accidents such as actors receiving cuts, bruises, nerves getting the best of them and one of the actresses twisting her ankle; however, none of it was noticeable to the audience.

“I think everyone gets nervous on opening night. At one point I blanked out and forgot some of my lines until my friend Marco who plays John Proctor saved me, so thank God for him,” Seleny Jimenez, who plays Marry Warren, shared. “I just looked at him because my eyes were saying ‘Help me’ and he basically just said the next line and it finally clicked.”

When it came to staying in character, nerves were not the only thing that became an obstacle.

“In Act 4 right before they hang me, I have all these lines with my friend Juan who plays the judge, and he’s like my best friend, so we laugh with each other all the time, so once I saw him in the wig I couldn’t take it,” Marco Arroyo said. “It’s hard to be face to face with my best friend in that big white wig, yelling at each other, so that part is probably like the hardest part.”

Injuries, fire alarms, forgotten lines and friendships did not stand in the way of what the audience hailed as a great performance. Their professionalism was evident by how they managed to always pull through without breaking character.

View Comments (2)
About the Contributors
Photo of Sara Cabrera
Sara Cabrera, Writer/ Copy Editor
Sara Cabrera, a current senior, is an optimistic writer for The Downey Legend. For Cabrera, journalism is not just a hobby or a class; it’s a passion and a future career. According to Cabrera, she started her sophomore year, yet to discover her writing talent. It was Mrs. Stratford, her sophomore English teacher, who recommended her to join The Downey Legend. “I was a bit intimidated about the whole thing at first,” Cabrera said. After some time to think and a few pushes from Mrs. Stratford, Cabrera made the decision to join. “It was the greatest choice I ever made,” Cabrera said.

Cabrera not only dedicates most of her time to writing for the online newspaper, she also enjoys dancing at a very popular dance studio: Santa Fe Springs Performing Arts Center. Her dancing skills helped her make the Downey High School Dance team for the 2013-2014 school year. With motivation to major in journalism and minor in dance, her dream is to travel around the world for six months after she graduates from a college somewhere in the east coast. She also plans to get a part time job as an interpreter, because she is fluent in sign language. Cabrera’s goal this year as a writer is to make The Downey Legend more popular and known to the students at Downey High.
Photo of Cindy Macias
Cindy Macias, Photographer/Co-Photo Editor
For senior Cindy Macias, The Downey Legend is not just a newspaper; it is a place to show her photographs to the world. This photographer likes to take candid shots because she is able to capture the beauty of the moment and frame it in time. Macias is not only in newspaper, she is also juggling Yearbook along with her regular classes. She hopes to become proactive, less of a procrastinator, get straight As, be more organized, and improve her academic vocabulary throughout the year. She plans to study liberal arts at either UC Irvine or UCLA, but does not plan on dorming on campus because of the filth.

Over the summer, Macias gained work experience while interning for Prestige Portraits, a company that specifically takes professional high school senior portraits. Her work involved secretary-like duties, such as calling for reminders and filing papers. When she is not taking photos, she is at the mall shopping for the latest styles at Pac Sun, one of her favorite stores. Macias walks around her neighborhood to ponder over her life. Her friends admire her sense of forwardness, personality, listening skills, and great advice. Macias makes her friends a priority. “The more you don’t see the person, the connection really isn’t there”, she stated. She started photography in the seventh grade, at Davis Middle School, and she has been taking pictures ever since, because photography challenges her to become better. Her personality, work ethic, and perseverance are all aspects that allow Macias to be an extraordinary photographer.

The Downey Legend • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

• M

MellyMar 26, 2014 at 5:11 PM

I Loved playing the character of ElizabethProctor and I Fell in love with her<3 Part of me misses her<3

Reply
  • A

Angela CurtisJan 11, 2014 at 3:25 PM

Thoroughly enjoyed the play. These student actors did a fabulous job!

Reply
2