Love, Simon

Vicky Arguello, Writer

Supergirl and Riverdale’s Greg Berlanti is making his return to film with Love, Simon, his first feature film as director since 2010’s Life As We Know It. Nick Robinson stars as Simon, a 17-year-old boy contemplating coming out as gay while searching for the identity of his anonymous online confidante in a film that will be released Mar. 16.

“Everyone deserves a great love story” is one of the taglines for Love, Simon, and though there have been countless indie coming-out/coming-of-age movies, this Fox release is the first big-studio film to feature a gay teen lead.

Angelica Baliscao, 12, is looking forward to seeing Love, Simon as she recently came out as bisexual.

“This film is so important for the youth that is still trying to figure out who they are,” Baliscao said. “This movie is a step towards making the youth feel more comfortable with being themselves and I wish this was a movie I saw when I was trying to accept myself.”

Simon’s first step toward openness begins when he becomes aware of an anonymous post on a social-media site from a fellow student who’s also anguished about hiding his sexual orientation.

Moviegoer, Jeremy Varo, 11, believes that this movie will be very relatable and is excited to see it when it comes out.

“Now with everyone on social media I feel like it’s a lot easier for teens to find people that feel the same way they feel,” Varo said. “I thought it was cool how they included that in the trailer.”

Love, Simon is based on the novel Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli which was published on April 7, 2015. The novel’s film adaptation is being written, produced, and directed by professionals involved with projects such as The Fault In Our Stars movie adaptation and the This Is Us television series.

Book lover, Cathy Lopez, 10, has read Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda and is excited, but nervous to see the film.

“I really enjoyed the book so I’m pretty excited to see the characters come alive on screen,” Lopez said. “I’m just scared that it won’t be as good as the movie, but knowing that the people who worked on The Fault In Our Stars worked on this movie tells me that it’s gonna be good.”

Love, Simon will be shown at Studio Movie Grill and Cinemark and is expected to make $40 million in its opening week. The film’s strong messages could possibly resonate with a variety of youthful moviegoers making this a film that may be very popular.