The peak of awards season

Junior, Stephanie Cornejo, watches most of the Oscars at home on Feb.22 where she enjoys the different artist that they show. On her phone she shows The Grand Budapest Hotel, which is a play in which Wes Anderson directed. “He is one my favorite film directors because the style of his films are so different and the colors (cinematography) are so vibrant,” Cornejo said.

Sophie Prettyman, Staff Writer

The 87th annual Academy Awards, also known as the Oscars, were on Sunday, Feb. 22. Being the biggest awards show of the film awards season, excited fans and cinephiles all over the world tuned in to watch their favorite celebrities walk the red carpet in extravagant formalwear, give speeches, perform, and win awards. Amongst these viewers were Downey High students.

Film students like junior Stephanie Cornejo watched the Oscars in hopes of seeing some of her favorite movies and directors earn the honors they deserve.

“I liked the speech that director made about Mexicans and immigrant rights,” Cornejo said, “ and I loved Wes Anderson’s film, of course!”

In regards to the most highly anticipated awards of the night, Julianne Moore won Best Actress for her role in Still Alice, Eddie Redmayne took Best Actor for his role as Stephen Hawking in The Theory of Everything, Alejandro González Iñárritu won Best Director for Birdman, and Best Picture went to Birdman.

The Grand Budapest Hotel and Birdman tied for the most Academy Award wins of the night at four awards each, but Boyhood, which was expected to win many of the categories, only took home one award.

Like in past years, this year’s cinema influenced and inspired a new generation of film fanatics, like senior Alex Landin.

“My favorite movie this year was Interstellar; it inspired me to recreate what I imagine because I aspire to be a filmmaker,” Landin said. “I think it should’ve won Best Original Score.”

The night was full of surprises and memorable moments, including Lady Gaga’s epic medley of songs from The Sound of Music and host Neil Patrick Harris’s onstage appearance in his underwear. Notable speeches included Patricia Arquette’s acceptance of her Best Supporting Actress award for Boyhood in which she called for gender pay equality and equal rights for American women, Graham Moore’s “stay weird” acceptance speech when he won Best Adapted Screenplay for The Imitation Game, and Alejandro Iñárritu’s call for better treatment of immigrants.

Senior Gabriel Garcia noticed that many of the people honored gave insights into their views on controversial and political issues during their speeches, such as the award winners previously mentioned.

“It was very political,” Garcia said. “I thought it was inspiring to see them [directors, actors, and musicians] go up there and speak their minds. Pretty nifty, if you ask me.”

Besides Lady Gaga’s tribute performance, Common and John Legend performed “Glory” from the movie Selma, Tegan and Sara sang “Everything is Awesome” from The Lego Movie.

Movie lovers wait in anticipation for the 88th annual Academy Awards next January. Until then, they will enjoy the films to come in 2015 and speculate over which ones will be nominated for and win awards next year when awards seasons rolls around once more.