Need for speed

April 4, 2014

On Fri., Mar. 14, the highly anticipated action film, Need for Speed, was finally released in theaters. Based on one of the most successful racing video games in the nation, DreamWorks Pictures’ Need for Speed includes the rush of the video game in a more realistic and modern setting.

This action film centers around one of the fastest street racers, Tobey Marshall (Breaking Bad’s Aaron Paul) and an arrogant ex-NASCAR driver Dino Brewster (Dominic Cooper.) After a series of misfortunate events, planned by Dino, occur, Tobey lands in prison, creating a revenge path between the two. As the film progresses, Tobey and his skillful yet humorous team, including Benny (Scott Mescudi) travel across the country to one of the biggest and most secretive races.

Director Scott Waugh, a former stunt performer, best known for directing 2012 war film Act of Valor, approached this action film with a different plot that added suspense and anticipation throughout the movie.

To give audiences a more realistic experience, Waugh used up to 40 cameras, all placed and positioned in different ways, such as in the SUV that was rotating in the air and on the heads of the actors as they raced by chaotic backgrounds.

“I want the audience to be inside the wreck and participate in it, rather than just sitting outside watching it,” Waugh said. “That’s kind of my signature.”

Although some aspects of the film seemed unrealistic, such as Benny flying a helicopter that was dangling a car that Tobey was in, the rest of the movie was full of excitement and rage.

Being that Need for Speed is based off the popular video game, it has gained a large audience- many of them being fans of the game. The film has already grossed over 29.2 million dollars in the box office. This action movie is being recognized for its strong choice of lead actors and similarity to the film series Fast and Furious.