Not another brick in the wall

Back to Article
Back to Article

Not another brick in the wall

Rosa Ramirez

Rosa Ramirez

Rosa Ramirez

During 6th period in the S-building, Rosa Sanchez presents her favorite art piece “Amy Winehouse,” on Nov. 10. “I don’t like to stick to the rules, I like to go outside of the boundaries,” said Sanchez.

Hanna Suarez, Arts & Entertainment Editor

Setting aside society’s standards and opinions, senior Rosie Sanchez channels her personal feelings and beliefs through her dry medium art.  She works best with pencil and charcoal and tries to go outside the boundaries.

Sanchez has always loved drawing but it was not until one of her middle school art teachers helped to explore her talents that Sanchez realized art was something she wanted to pursue in life.

Along with drawing, Sanchez also enjoys singing and playing the guitar. The artist says that music is a huge influence on her artwork.

“I like to listen to music that influences you to do what you want to do,” Sanchez said.

She is also influences by the 70s psychedelic hippie scene, different sub-cultures, and by the unique styles that individuals adopt for themselves, which is no surprise; seeing as her own style is brimming with genuineness.

Sanchez holds strongly to feminist beliefs along with her value of originality. She expresses her opinions of the world through her artwork, and sees current events as vast opportunities to explore her own creativity.

“She is very opinionated, she knows what she wants to do with her work,” advanced art teacher Mrs. Nikaj said, “she adds her own stylistic flair to everything she does and I am sure that she will succeed in whatever path she chooses because of her blooming talent.”

Sanchez strides forward with blatant individuality and pencil in hand, with the goal to study product design at the Otis College of Art and Design. Fashion design, with an emphasis on shoe design is another art she wishes to study at Otis. She hopes to display her work in a gallery someday, with the ambition to be a renown artist.

In the meantime, Sanchez practices her skills in Advanced Art with Ms. Nikaj and adds a refreshingly unique vibe to Downey’s cluster of avant-garde students. She continues to practice individuality as much as she values it and will continue to use art to express her own genuine style and her appreciation for it.

About the Writer
Hanna Suarez, Editor-in-Chief
Hanna Suarez, Editor-in-Chief of The Downey Legend, stepped into the world of journalism as a junior, as she carried on the challenge of the Arts and Entertainment Editor as her first position. The young writer was hesitant when first applying to join the staff, and doubts of acceptance crossed her mind. “I was kind of scared to join,” Suarez said “I didn’t think I would be much good.” Nonetheless, the hopeful student took the risk and was happy when she received the news of being selected as A&E Editor. She quickly adapted to the hectic environment and filled the newspaper room with her humor, as well as adding a sense of warmth and kindness. After successfully filling her section editor position, Suarez did not fret when the opportunity of E.I.C. was presented to her. She quickly grabbed the new title, and felt confident taking on the new role that was attached to more responsibilities. “I felt capable of handling the job well,” Suarez said. The leader was comfortable being promoted to a more prestigious position, and held her ground.

While college years are ahead of her, the student is savoring the moments she has left in high school, taking in her senior year and trying to make the most of it. The Downey Legend editor is an active member in the school marching band, playing the clarinet and euphonium. The senior also enjoys spending time reading while having 3rd Street Coffee in hand, and listening to indie bands and artists such as The xx and Lana del Ray.

Once she graduates, the ambitious writer hopes to build a successful career as E.I.C. of her own magazine, making newspaper a foundation for her future endeavors. She anticipates stepping foot into the real world, attending the USC Annenberg School of Communications or FIDM. The young and talented individual has prospered as a writer and leader; providing the staff with a model of success, she leaves big shoes to fill.