Chelsea Mendoza

Chelsea Mendoza, Staff Writer / Photographer

The thirst for knowledge was never quite quenched for, junior, Chelsea Mendoza. and a poet in 8th grade was where her passion for literature began. Not only does Mendoza want to expand her knowledge, but she wishes to use her aptitude in writing to get people to know her.

“I love mystery and suspense,” Mendoza said, “anything I have to read twice.”

To indulge her passion for mystery and suspense, Mendoza wrote her own horror story imbued with enigmas and apprehensions, one morning in the Downey High School library.

“Chelsea’s story is very well descriptive, and has good imagery”, her friend Beatrice Pena said.

Mendoza’s passion for books, although originating from Stephen King, has been provoked by other books such as the Hunger Games, the Fault in Our Stars, Paper Towns, Me and Earl, and Mr. Mercedes. She does not like to know the ending of a story, but instead she loves the twists.

“A book is like a portable T.V., but travel size,” Mendoza said. “ I can read about stories that would otherwise be impossible in real life.”

Other than books leaving an impressionable mark on Mendoza, there is more to her love of reading. She is able to relate the mystery, and sometimes traumatizing events, that take place in her stories. She claims that the relationship that she shares with her mom is relatable to that of her stories.

“If I don’t want to listen to my mom yap all day, I can open up a book and dive into that world,” Mendoza said.

Mendoza wishes to use her passion for literature in a career some day. She either wants to be a writer for Teen Vogue or even a journalist for some other publication. She also considers being an author, writing the very books that she loves to read.

All content by Chelsea Mendoza

Views from the Six Pop Style

May 18, 2016
After intermission, Nathan DiLorenzo, 12, plays his trombone in the theatre on March 11. DiLorenzo performed Pharell Williams’ “Happy”, the previous year.

Taste of Talent

March 22, 2016
Comedy Sportz, the interactive game-show is broadcasted in the Downey High School theater where red team player, senior, Ryan Gutierrez, reenacted a dancing couple in love with fellow teammate, senior, Beatrice Medina. “Now that Im on the team, it feels amazing being a part of something I didnt know about at first but now see how big of a world Comedy Sportz is,” Gutierrez, said.

[Photo] Newbies No More

Cintia Macias, Co-Photo Editor
February 26, 2016
Starting the new year, Downey High School students can enjoy the new Downey Promenade. As a location where people can hangout, eat, and watch a movie, Cinemark is one of the first places to open to the public on Friday, December 11, 2015.

[Photo] Cinemark Cinema

Angelica Fregoso, Staff Writer
January 21, 2016

The Weeknd “Low life” featuring Future

January 15, 2016

The Girl on Fire the Ending to Her Trilogy

December 15, 2015
In desperation to come back against the Bears, Jalen Thompson tackles the opponent in the red zone on October 23. Thompson finished the night with three tackles and six catches.

The Rivalry Returns

November 10, 2015

Cultural Appropriation

October 23, 2015
Load More Stories
Chelsea Mendoza