Mayra Castro

Mayra Castro , Photographer

Current photographer for The Downey Legend, Mayra Castro, approaches her senior year with optimism and hopes to makes her final year memorable by never missing an opportunity to hang out with friends, while still managing her academics. Castro describes photography as her favorite art medium and, although her passion is fairly new, she is eager to gain more experience by practicing alongside the other Online Newspaper photographers. The senior decided to join the staff because she wanted a place where she could showcase her work while working with other passionate and goal oriented students. She is also considering a future in photojournalism and hopes to familiarize herself with the publication process.

Castro’s main goal for the future is to be the first in her family to go to college. The aspiring photographer feels that a college degree is a necessary component to be successful in today’s economy. When she is enrolled in school, Castro hopes to major in photojournalism and eventually have her images published in a popular magazine where thousands of people can appreciate her work. In her personal life, Castro describes herself as a simple girl with simple tastes. She appreciates the small things in life like listening to music or simply hanging out with friends at the local mall. She looks at each day from a relaxed and optimistic perspective. “The most important part of my life is being happy,” Castro said. “That's all that matters.”

All content by Mayra Castro
On Thurs., May 2, during the annual Powderpuff game, Eduardo Munoz, 12 asks, his girlfriend Cynthia Villegas, 12, to prom. He surprised her during half time with the help of the boys who participated in cheer.

[Photo] Prom?

Mia Dixon-Slaughter, Co-Editor-in-Cheif
June 3, 2014

On Thurs., May 2, the boys cheer team supports the girls at the annual powder puff game. Boys ranging from freshmen to seniors participated by cheering on the girls.

[Photo] Manleaders

Sara Cabrera, Writer/ Copy Editor
May 23, 2014
On Fri., Mar. 21, at the Downey High School gym, the annual Downey Best Dance Crew competition takes place to fundraise money for the dance team. Downey’s dance team started off the competition by performing Friday Night Lights.

[Photo] Calling all dancers

Mizhelle Cortes, Writer/ Business Team
April 4, 2014
At Downey High School on Fri., Mar. 7, varsity lacrosse player Nicholas Silva, 12, plays against Birmingham High School to start the season. Downey lost with a score of 8 to 9.

[Photo] Boys Lacrosse game

Sabrina Fuentes, News Section Editor
April 1, 2014
On Wed., Feb. 12, Roberto Astorga, 12, heads for the goal during the game against Dominguez High School. Downey took the win with a final score of 4 to 0.

[Photo] Downey vs. Dominguez

Mia Dixon-Slaughter, Co-Editor-in-Cheif
February 24, 2014
On Jan. 17 Jorge Reyna, 11, Nicholas Robles, 12, Eric Carillo, 12, and Troy Stricklin, 12, wear white to show their school spirit for the annual Black Light assembly.

[Photo] Spirit Week

Sara Cabrera, Writer/ Copy Editor
February 2, 2014
On Mon., Dec. 9, at the Downey Civic Center, people gather to see the annual tree lighting ceremony. “Looking at all the lights and the tree got me in the Christmas mood,” senior Crystal Rolon said.

[Photo] The Giving Tree

Lucy Hernandez, Writer/Public Relations Manager/ News Editor
December 17, 2013
On Wed., Dec. 4, in the DHS gym, varsity wrestler Sebastian Soto, 12, faces his opponent from Norwalk High School as he tries to pin him. Soto put Downey in the lead by winning his match with a score of 22 to 6.

[Photo] A pin for the win

Moises Martinez Cortez, Writer/Community Editor
December 13, 2013
While she’s adjusting to being the new, temporary librarian, Yvette Flores substitutes for her sister Martha Ortiz, who is on maternity leave. “There’s always a lot of stuff to do, even though it looks like I don’t really much, I do,” Flores said. “I have an agenda I have to follow.”

[Photo] Substituting a sister

Esther Rodriguez, Parents & Teachers Section Editor
November 18, 2013
Scoring multiple points for the Downey team, Kimberly Schnars, 11, takes part in the fourth annual Dig Pink volleyball game in the Downey High School gym. “I feel honored to be in the presence of breast cancer survivors and I know that when I leave, I made a difference,” Schnars said.

[Photo] An Ace for the Cure

Fatima Yataco, Business Manager
November 1, 2013
Before his after school practice begins, Ryan Collins, 10, arrives to the football field to improve his skills for the upcoming games vs. Huntington Beach. “Grind hard, work hard, play hard,” Collins said.

[Photo] Underclass and flying fast

October 23, 2013
On Friday, October 4, the movie Gravity came out in local theaters. The thriller film follows astronauts stuck in space working together to survive.

[Photo] Sucking audiences into space

Mia Dixon-Slaughter, Co-Editor-in-Cheif
October 18, 2013
Load More Stories

Mayra Castro