Sara Cabrera

Sara Cabrera , Writer/ Copy Editor

Sara Cabrera, a current senior, is an optimistic writer for The Downey Legend. For Cabrera, journalism is not just a hobby or a class; it’s a passion and a future career. According to Cabrera, she started her sophomore year, yet to discover her writing talent. It was Mrs. Stratford, her sophomore English teacher, who recommended her to join The Downey Legend. “I was a bit intimidated about the whole thing at first,” Cabrera said. After some time to think and a few pushes from Mrs. Stratford, Cabrera made the decision to join. “It was the greatest choice I ever made,” Cabrera said.

Cabrera not only dedicates most of her time to writing for the online newspaper, she also enjoys dancing at a very popular dance studio: Santa Fe Springs Performing Arts Center. Her dancing skills helped her make the Downey High School Dance team for the 2013-2014 school year. With motivation to major in journalism and minor in dance, her dream is to travel around the world for six months after she graduates from a college somewhere in the east coast. She also plans to get a part time job as an interpreter, because she is fluent in sign language. Cabrera’s goal this year as a writer is to make The Downey Legend more popular and known to the students at Downey High.

All content by Sara Cabrera

On Thurs., May 2, the boys cheer team supports the girls at the annual powder puff game. Boys ranging from freshmen to seniors participated by cheering on the girls.

Manleaders

Sara Cabrera, Writer/ Copy Editor
May 23, 2014
5 Questions with Ms. Pena

5 Questions with Ms. Pena

Sara Cabrera, Writer/ Copy Editor
February 26, 2014
On Tues., Jan. 14, senior Jackie Tester dresses as a hipster to participate in the biannual Downey-Warren spirit week.

Spirit Week

Sara Cabrera, Writer/ Copy Editor
February 2, 2014
On Wednesday, Dec. 18, in the DHS theatre, Abigail Williams, played by Cassandra Barrera, 12, stands on trial when she is accused of being a witch.  Barrera has been a part of improv, choir and even dance; the stage is her battlefield.

The Crucible

Sara Cabrera, Writer/ Copy Editor
January 7, 2014
 5 Questions with Kimberly Schnars

5 Questions with Kimberly Schnars

Sara Cabrera, Writer/ Copy Editor
November 18, 2013

Roar

Sara Cabrera, Writer/ Copy Editor
November 1, 2013
Arriving at Kaiser Permanente minutes after injuring her wrist, while washing dishes in her home, Jenise Cubas, 12, is checked out and stitched up on Aug. 21. “At the moment I didn’t feel pain, but when the paramedics came I started blacking out a bit,” Cubas said.

A volleyball player’s worst nightmare

Sara Cabrera, Writer/ Copy Editor
October 18, 2013
Five Questions with Tristan Esparza

Five Questions with Tristan Esparza

Sara Cabrera, Writer/ Copy Editor
October 8, 2013
Five Questions with Anthony Munoz

Five Questions with Anthony Munoz

Sara Cabrera, Writer/ Copy Editor
June 14, 2013
On Friday, May 24 junior Amanda Azurduy rehearses her routine before auditioning in front of the judges to become part of the 2013-2014 cheer team. The upcoming cheerleaders learned routines from May 20-23 and showed their potential to judges on May 24.

Ready? Ok!

Sara Cabrera, Writer/ Copy Editor
May 31, 2013
On May 8, Spanish teacher, Mrs. Roybal, shares her pageant past to demonstrate the many talents she has besides being a teacher. “The ingredients that are required to win a pageant are voice, confidence, and the ability to communicate your message to a group of people, ” Roybal said, “ These are the same qualities needed to be a teacher. ”

An inspiring role model

Sara Cabrera, Writer/ Copy Editor
May 20, 2013
On Friday, May 10, at the Allen Layne Stadium, Jeremy Villa, one of the coaches for the senior girls, explains what they have to do in order to beat the juniors in the Powder Puff game. Later that night, the score ended at 18-13, where the juniors achieved victory.

Nothing junior about this team

Sara Cabrera, Writer/ Copy Editor
May 17, 2013
On April 12, Santa Alejos demonstrates the pride she has in her four Downey High School students and the support of the various activities her children are involved in. Jazmin, 11, is part of DHS Dance Team, Jaqueline, 11, plays the clarinet in band, Jerry, 10, is a wrestler and Jocelyn, 10, is part of the JV track team.

Mother of many talents

Sara Cabrera, Writer/ Copy Editor
April 19, 2013
To support Relay for Life, and raise money for senior Mario Galvan, 12, Joey Romero, 12, Mario Andres Galvan, 11, Edwyn Arroyo, 12, Eddie Guerrero, 12, and Michael Rivas, 12, shave their heads in March. They also sold t-shirts to support Galvan’s older brother who was diagnosed with cancer late last year.

Not alone, we fight together

Sara Cabrera, Writer/ Copy Editor
April 10, 2013
At the Downey High School Theater, handed out the agenda to all members in order for them to follow along with what was being discussed on March 11 during their meeting. Principal, Tom Houts reported on the construction for the new buildings.

PTA: March 2013

Sara Cabrera, Writer/ Copy Editor
March 18, 2013
Five Questions with Mrs. Overgaauw

Five Questions with Mrs. Overgaauw

Sara Cabrera, Writer/ Copy Editor
March 1, 2013
Making it a night to remember

Making it a night to remember

Sara Cabrera, Writer/ Copy Editor
February 20, 2013
From her last day of school as a former student at Downey High, Ms. Gunderson holds a picture taken with her and her former AP Calculus teacher, Mr. Bremer, who inspired her to become the math instructor she is today.

Her struggle was her destiny

Sara Cabrera, Writer/ Copy Editor
February 20, 2013
From Jan. 8 to Jan. 18, Bernice Mendez, 11, takes part in the U.S. History challenge, where students and teachers wear the same clothes for two weeks to see how difficult times were during the Great Depression. “I feel so filthy everyday even though we could wash our clothes,” Mendez said, “I’m not wearing these clothes for months after.”

An era never forgotten

Sara Cabrera, Writer/ Copy Editor
January 16, 2013
Five Questions with Terrell Donaldson

Five Questions with Terrell Donaldson

Sara Cabrera, Writer/ Copy Editor
December 7, 2012
On October 2, Mr. De La Torre broke out dancing in room B-107, to express his love for break dancing, even though he is primarily known for teaching Honors Geometry on campus. “I’ve liked dancing since I was a little kid, but I never really performed till now,” De La Torre said.

Surprising passion

Sara Cabrera, Writer/ Copy Editor
November 15, 2012
In room Y-2, Adrianna Casas, 12 , shows her appreciation for art while working on her new piece for AP Studio Art, on Monday, October 22. “My inspirations came from my older brother and my grandma,” Casas said, “I guess music inspired me as well.”

Drawing her future

Sara Cabrera, Writer/ Copy Editor
October 27, 2012
To ask Marlyn Leon, 12, to Homecoming, Alejandro Jaramillo, 12, waits with his friend, Eric Lopez, 11 ,on Thursday, October 18, 2012 at the quad. “I thought it was really funny because we used to call him Tarzan because he had long hair, it was kind of an inside joke,” Leon said, “I couldn’t believe he actually climbed a tree.”

Making it impossible to say no

Sara Cabrera, Writer/ Copy Editor
October 25, 2012
Water polo parents gather around the booster club table at Back-to-School Night, on Sept. 20, 2012, to try and gain more support for their sport.  This is the first time that water polo has had a table at Back-to-School Night.

Having fun with back-to-school

Sara Cabrera, Writer/ Copy Editor
October 9, 2012
Load More Stories

Sara Cabrera