Gissel Enriquez

Gissel Enriquez, Photographer

Continuing her passion for photography, senior Gissel Enriquez joins The Downey Legend for her second year with hopes of contributing newsworthy events for the 2013-2014 school year. As a photographer, her interest sparked from the first moment she captured a photo as an eight-year-old child. “It’s amazing how you can take a picture and it brings thousands of memories with just one shot,” Enriquez said. “I just have a passion for photography.” Her enthusiasm for photography is evident as she decides to improve her skills and learn new things from the newspaper staff. Her junior year at The Downey Legend has enabled her to expand her knowledge and alleviate the stress from honors and AP classes. This aspiring photographer joined in order to capture the daily moments of high school and bring awareness to the online newspaper. Since joining the team, she has gained confidence in herself as well as in her art. With her goals set high and hardworking mindset, Enriquez is sure to dedicate her time with the aim of succeeding as a member of the online newspaper and as a Downey High School student.

While photography remains one her favorite hobbies, she also enjoys roller skating around her neighborhood and constantly listening to bands like The Smiths. Enriquez loves spending time with her family, especially her best friends: Yasmin Alvizures and Joy Eskander, and going to Yogurtland on her free time. With her future set, this outgoing photographer plans to travel around the world after graduating from a four year university. Wherever her journey leads her, her passion for photography will remain at heart.

All content by Gissel Enriquez
IMG_3301_2_72

[Photo] 5 Questions with Lesly Lasso

Lucy Hernandez, Writer/Public Relations Manager/ News Editor
May 16, 2014
IMG_32699_2_72

[Photo] 5 Questions with Helen Hampton

Lauren Rodriguez, Writer/Student Life Editor
May 6, 2014
On Thurs, Mar. 20, the Downey Vikes play their fourth game of the season against the Paramount Pirates, with senior Christos Meletis winning his match 7-5.  Meletis won all his matches  6-0.

[Photo] Downey Vs. Paramount

Mia Dixon-Slaughter, Co-Editor-in-Cheif
April 4, 2014
Sophomores, juniors, and parents attend an informative meeting, on Jan. 8, at the Downey High School theater, in order to understand PSAT scores. The purpose of the meeting was to inform parents and students how to improve their SAT scores.

[Photo] En route to the SAT

Mizhelle Cortes, Writer/ Business Team
January 22, 2014
On Dec. 10, Mr. Jose De La Torre is pleased to be part of the Downey High School staff and have assisted his students for the past seven years. “It is great to be given the opportunity to help students daily,” De La Torre said. “What if I make a difference in a student’s life?”

[Photo] Teaching beyond the limits

Mizhelle Cortes, Writer/ Business Team
December 13, 2013
On Nov. 9, H.O.P.E Club member, Diane Delgado, 12, emphasizes the need to serve other cities by attending Furry Fun in Hawthorne City to serve rescued rabbits. “It was fun to be surrounded by people that care about animals and know I make a small difference by caring as well,” Diane Delgado said.

[Photo] Hope Club Bunny Rescue

November 15, 2013
On Saturday, Oct. 26, Jewels, a Golden Retriever, wins the Most Creative Costume award dress as a bumblebee. The annual dog celebration event offered a dog costume contest to celebrate Halloween with the pets of the Downey community.

[Photo] Woof or treat

Mizhelle Cortes, Writer/ Business Team
November 1, 2013
On Oct. 13, Elle Neri, 11, and, Brenda Alvizures, 11, marches down Firestone Blvd. to support the annual CROP Hunger Walk event. “I felt united as a community,” Alvizures, “getting together trying to make a difference in someone’s life.”

[Photo] One step closer to ending world hunger

Serene Gallardo, Community Section Editor
October 18, 2013
IMG_8629_2_72

[Photo] Five Questions with Joseph Navarro

October 18, 2013
On May 24, Daisy Watson displays a copy of her old book art as the first place winner of the 20th Annual Lucille Roybal- Allard Student Art Competition. “I named my art Sailing Through Thoughts because sometimes you recap into the past, ” Watson said. “ It is better to pass them in order to move into future goals.”

[Photo] Arts and awards

Joey Flores, News Editor
June 4, 2013
On May 8, Spanish teacher, Mrs. Roybal, shares her pageant past to demonstrate the many talents she has besides being a teacher. “The ingredients that are required to win a pageant are voice, confidence, and the ability to communicate your message to a group of people, ” Roybal said, “ These are the same qualities needed to be a teacher. ”

[Photo] An inspiring role model

Sara Cabrera, Writer/ Copy Editor
May 20, 2013
On April 12, Santa Alejos demonstrates the pride she has in her four Downey High School students and the support of the various activities her children are involved in. Jazmin, 11, is part of DHS Dance Team, Jaqueline, 11, plays the clarinet in band, Jerry, 10, is a wrestler and Jocelyn, 10, is part of the JV track team.

[Photo] Mother of many talents

Sara Cabrera, Writer/ Copy Editor
April 19, 2013
On Janurary 22, Spanish teacher, Ms. Richelle Mercure, holds a flamenco pose in her classroom: R-6,to express her passion for Latin dance. “When I teach and see my students dance, it is so meaningful to me,” Mercure said, “ because I remember how important dance was when I was their age.”

[Photo] Dancing the dream

Mia Dixon-Slaughter, Co-Editor-in-Cheif
March 1, 2013
Load More Stories
Gissel Enriquez