Downey Girls Volleyball is Back

Nicole Najera, Writer

The Downey High School’s girls volleyball team took on Valley Christian at their first home game on Tues., Sept.13.The Lady Vikings came short against their opponent but put up a fight by taking the match into four matches.

Preparing for the match the Vikes got fired up with a strong warm-up. Senior and co-captain of the team, Tori Trejo, began the match with  fierce serves getting the Vikings a lead, Valley Christian came back firm and ended the first game period with lead of 25-15.

“I would describe our team as a big family.This team sticks out because of the bond we share on and off the court,” Trejo said, “because of how close we are and it makes playing with each other a lot more fun.”

As the second match commenced, Downey began with a strong start and was able to maintain the score throughout the second game period. Although Valley Christian made it difficult for Downey to keep a lead, Downey finished the second match with a gain of 25-23.

“It’s good to be on a higher level and be pushed more,” junior, Alexia Torres, said. “I think we’ll have a good season this year…and hopefully win league.”

Being on varsity for four years has really impacted the life of senior, Lisa Iniguez, as she contributed to her team with two digs and several tough serves. Iniguez, being one of the few on varsity since freshman year has loved her experience with the volleyball team at Downey High School.

“You grow as a family and try to make your last year as memorable as possible with these girls and the volleyball program,” Iniguez said. “We are all very close and get along pretty well.”