Girls’ Volleyball Dominate Dominguez

Alyssa Vega, Arts and Entertainment Editor

Downey High School’s girl’s volleyball team competed against Dominguez High School on Tues., Oct. 20. The Lady Vikes defeated their opponent with a short match within three game periods.

Before the first match started, the varsity girls did their warm-up exercises to prepare for the game. Junior, Tori Trejo, began serving the first ball in the match with a total of seven aces, ending the first game period with the win of 25-2.

“My teammates and I played strong beginning to end.” Trejo said. “We were determined to beat Dominguez.”

As the second match began, Dominguez commenced with a strong start until the Lady Vikes found themselves stepping up their game and advancing on the scoreboard. The girls got their side out and finished their second match with a win of 25-14.

Solid communication continued throughout the match, which was the key on winning the game.

“I love being on the court,” senior, Miranda Moisa, said, “and I love my experiences and relationships I have with the girls on my team.”

Four-year varsity volleyball player and captain of the team, Bela Gamboa, finished the game strong with a total of 7 kills, 4 aces, and 2 digs. The Lady Vikes won with a score of 25-4.

Gamboa started to play volleyball at age 7, when her aunt sparked the idea for her to play. She loves the competitive atmosphere and having teammates that share the same passion of playing volleyball. Gamboa expressed her attitude for the remaining of the season, while the team celebrated their win.

“This is the beginning of the second half of league,” Gamboa said, “so this sets the tone for the rest of the season.”

Gamboa is determined that the team will finish off with a great season defeating upcoming opponents and how this game might affect their season.

The girls’ next game will be against Lynnwood away on Thurs., Oct. 22 at 3:15 p.m