Feeling of a lightning strike

Carlos Garcia, Staff Writer

On May 18, 2014, British pop-rock band, The Vamps, released their single “Somebody to You” featuring American singer Demi Lovato. The song was released as the band’s first US single and fourth single from their debut album Meet the Vamps, which was released on Nov. 4, 2014. In addition, they took the UK by storm, with “Somebody to You” peaking at number 4 on the UK Singles Chart. In an interview with THE Magazine, lead singer Bradley Simpson describes the single as a “summer-y feel-good song.” He adds on, saying, “There’s a nice sentiment about the song, all you want to be is somebody to this one girl.” Lyrics like “Never really gave enough/ And then you caught my eye/ Giving me the feeling of a lightning strike” can further explain the theme of the song about wanting to be significant in someone else’s life. Originally starting on YouTube doing covers of popular songs, the pop rock band essentially became huge, with 700,000 subscribers on YouTube and 1 million followers on Twitter. Conquering the UK, they soon faced the biggest challenge of all: the North American demogrpahic. Now with their sophomore album underway, frontman Bradley Simpson hopes for his bandmates to have a stronger voice.